About this blog

My name is Darin Moriki and I am a student in the JMC 410 Advanced News and Feature Writing class at the University of Northern Colorado. This semester I will be covering the meetings and sponsored events of the Student Senate, a student-run legislative body that oversees a budget of student fees totaling nearly $1.5 million.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Senate members conclude academic year with farewells

The Student Senate concluded its meetings for this academic year by hosting a banquet that commemorated the achievements of this year’s Senate cabinet.

“You’re all really a tremendous group of people,” said Dean of Students Raul Cardenas. “I’ll always remember the work that you’ve done and the mark that I think you all have left on this campus.”

Among the recognized accomplishments was the creation of the Student Judiciary, which will function as the university’s new student-led judicial body beginning in the fall semester, if it is approved by the UNC Board of Trustees. If instated, the five-person judicial body will hear a wide range of student grievances, including those concerning academic, legislative and ethical issues.

Some Senate members acknowledged that their participation in the Student Senate not only provided them with leadership experience, but also allowed them to grow as individuals.
Sen
“Student Senate has really changed our lives because without it, we wouldn’t be who we are today,” said Student Body President Justin Puckett. “I can look back on my senior year of high school and remember that being above a 3.0 student was a fantasy; being Student Body President wasn’t even an option at all. But when I compare where I was four years ago when I first came here to where I am now; the change is amazing.”

-- Originally published in The Mirror on April 30, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment