About this blog

My name is Darin Moriki and I am a student in the JMC 410 Advanced News and Feature Writing class at the University of Northern Colorado. This semester I will be covering the meetings and sponsored events of the Student Senate, a student-run legislative body that oversees a budget of student fees totaling nearly $1.5 million.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

This may be the end, but the journey has only begun

Nearly three years ago, I came to the University of Northern Colorado to fulfill my high school dream to become a print journalist. Since then, I have experienced my share of triumphs and failures that have not only shaped my journalistic abilities but ultimately improved my work ethic and motivated me to become persistent, resilient, and steadfast in purpose. Through the in-class instruction that I have received from my journalism professors and the field experience that I have garnered through my job as a staff writer and a Student Senate beat reporter at The Mirror, I have learned how to report on difficult and challenging issues; ask tough questions; report every angle from an objective perspective; and thoroughly research every point of view.

One of the most influential classes that I have taken as a journalism major has been JMC 410: Advanced News & Feature Writing in which I have been able to improve my editing skills and step out of my personal comfort zone by utilizing different writing styles to present various issues on my beat. By doing this, I believe that I am better prepared for the various tasks and assignments that I may encounter in a newsroom.

Not too long ago, I found a maxim that simply read, “Don’t give up on something or someone that you can’t go a full day without thinking about.” For me, journalism is something that I can’t go a full day without thinking about, and one day, it is my hope that I will one day work for a large news organization like the Associated Press, New York Times, or the Washington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment